The Tri Town Times: 7/30/18
- Posted on
- By Antonio Gonzalez
- Posted in the tri town times
70.3 Santa Rosa; 70.3 Calgary; Ironman and 70.3 Canada; Burley Spudman; Tour De France wraps up; article on rolling resistance; The Tri Swap; Chrono Kristen Armstrong photo album.
Here is your weekly TT Times update:
Weekend Race Report-
A busy weekend for racing:
- Heavy fog race morning forced Santa Rosa 70.3 to be changed last minute to a duathlon format. Sam Appleton won the men's pro race, with Miranda Carfrae finding her classic form again to take the women's title. Boise transplant Jocelyn McCauley had a strong race in the women's pro field, taking 4th overall.
- Calgary 70.3 was a non-pro race but a few Idahoans made the journey to compete on this fast and relatively flat course. Congrats to all.
- The full Ironman and Ironman 70.3 Canada both took place in Whistler yesterday under hot conditions. A large group of people from the Treasure Valley made the trip up North to compete. Brett McMahon won the men's professional race for the full Ironman event (there was no women's professional race).
- Almost 1,800 people competed in the Burley Spudman on Saturday. This hometown race is one of the fastest and best Olympic distance races in the country. Results here.
- The Tour De France wraps up with Geraint Thomas winning the Yellow Jersey. Thomas was relatively unknown in the US, but entered the race as a 'co-leader' for Team Sky with Chris Froome. This was an exciting year for the Tour, with multiple time trials, cobblestone stages, short but mountainous stages, and of course plenty of crashes and amazing sprint finishes.
Events We're Looking Forward To-
- The "We are Triathletes" documentary is scheduled to be shown at Edwards 21 August 8th at 6:30pm. The film will only show if enough tickets are sold. Signup and buy tickets here.
- 70.3 Boulder is this Saturday.
Training Thoughts and Updates-
- Interesting article on rolling resistance. Your tire and tube choices matter.
- Group swim tonight at 6pm at Veterans Pond (officially called 'Boise Cascade Lake').
- Group brick workout at Boise High School track next Monday at 7am. Bring your bike trainer, bike, and running shoes. Session runs approximately from 7am till 9am.
Need to sell some old racing gear? Or looking for a great deal on gently used gear? Check out our annual Triathlon Swap scheduled for September 1st and 2nd. Details on our Tri Swap page.
Popular Social Post-
Our resident photographer extraordinaire Scott Conover does not disappoint with his Chrono Kristen Armstrong album.
Quote that Struck a Chord-
"We are what we repeatedly do; excellence then is not an act but a habit."
If you have 4 minutes to spare-
I have about as little interest in skateboarding as a person can have, but anyone who is this athletic and creative within their realm has my respect.
Have a great week!
Be the first to comment...