The Tri Town Times: 7/16/18
- Posted on
- By Antonio Gonzalez
Here is your weekly TT Times update:
Weekend Race Report-
- I believe Pro Triathlete Erin Green's Facebook post about the Y Not Tri sums up the day the best: FUN! The weather was perfect and the turnout was strong for this great local race. Results here.
- Top U23 racer Gage Hecht won the men's title at the Twighlight Crit, and Jennifer Valente repeated as the women's champion in the pro field.
Events We're Looking Forward To-
- Rolf Prima Tri at the Grove in Eugene, Oregon is this Saturday.
- The Burley Spudman Triathlon on July 28th is just a 2hr drive and attracts close to 2,000 participants. This beginner friendly race was my first triathlon and I've been hooked ever since. I highly recommend putting this race on your calendar for 2019.
- A strong group of Idahoans are traveling to the wine country of Santa Rosa for the 70.3 on July 28th.
Training Thoughts and Updates-
-My most recent blog post, this time on what to do (and not to do) if you get a triathlon drafting penalty.
- Most athletes know not to train at the same intensity all the time, but many struggle to determine appropriate training zones. Biggest mistakes I see? Easy workouts are not easy enough, threshold efforts (5-10min) are not hard enough, and short interval workouts are often way too hard. Famous run coach Jack Daniels (no relation to your favorite whiskey...) developed the VDOT score in his book "Daniel's Running Formula", and created a VDOT Calculator to help you determine appropriate training paces and approximate paces for different race distances.
Today will be our last Monday evening swim at Quinn's Pond. We'll be moving down the river to Veterans Pond starting July 23rd. We'll start at the normal time of 6pm. The water is cooler at Veterans (may require wetsuits), and the pond is less crowded.
Popular Social Post-
An interesting national view of athletic activity level by state.
Gear that Caught Our Attention-
Did you know that a chain-driven bicycle may only be 75-97% efficient depending upon how well your chain is lubed, choice of equipment, and what gear you're in (cross chaining decreases efficiency)? Ceramic Speed has released a very cool shaft-driven prototype drivetrain shown here on a Cervelo P5.
Quote that Struck a Chord-
“I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” - Michael Jordan.
Have a great week!
Like the format? Please share with a friend. Have suggestions on what we should be including, excluding, or changing up? Let me know!
Be the first to comment...