Local Pro, Danielle Dingman 3rd at Campeche 70.3; Coronavirus affects our next two events, local YMCA, & other national races; Cardiac drifting study; We offer free bike pickup this week.
Weekend Race Report
One of the few triathlon races actually taking place this weekend was Campeche 70.3 in Mexico. Matt Hanson of the US took the men's title, and Jackie Hering of the US took the women's title. Local pro Danielle Dingman continues a strong start to her 2020 season with a 3rd place finish.
Events We're Looking Forward To:
Most events have been postponed or cancelled due to the coronavirus, including major triathlon events like Oceanside 70.3. Here is a helpful link showing which Ironman branded events have been postponed.
Training Thoughts and Updates:
- Interesting study of the implications of pacing strategy and cardiac drift (decoupling) for sub-elite marathoners. This is an example of why having a large aerobic base in place is so important (to avoid slowing down during long events). Combine that with a sound pacing strategy to have your best possible day.
- The local YMCA is closed March 16 - March 22nd due to COVID-19. Announcement here.
- Regretfully, I have to cancel tonight's seminar on "Nutrition Timing for the Endurance Athlete." At this time, we are also planning on cancelling next Wednesday's seminar "The Basic of Road and Tri Bike Fit". We will reschedule both seminars for the near future.
- I've received many request to share the slides from our seminar series. You can find last week's slides on "Strength Training for the Endurance Athlete" here.
- We hope to start our Tuesday Threshold Ride in early April. The ride starts every week from Tri Town with a "B" group leaving at 5:50pm, and an "A" group leaving at 6pm. We will be following a new route this year. The new route is safer, hillier, and slightly longer.
Indoor or outdoor cycling may be one of the best activities for us to do right now. If your bike needs attention/service, but you don't feel comfortable venturing out to the shop to drop it off, we may have a solution for you: for the next couple weeks our shop is offering free bike pickup and delivery service to clients in Boise and Garden City. Simply email [email protected] or call 208-297-7943 to schedule a pickup time. You can also contact us via our homepage's online chat feature to schedule a service.
Quote that Struck a Chord:
"Triathlon training is social distancing." Dan Empfield.
A silver lining for the endurance athlete is that by nature our sport dictates extended periods of time alone and often outside. Though the conoravirus will undoubtably effect your work and personal life, it does not have to completely derail your training plan.