Ironman Boulder; East Canyon Tri; Ironman Cairns; Open water swim clinic w/ Mark Sortino; Dr Stephen Seiler; Feedback Omnium trainer; and Peter Sagan is a bad ass.
Here is your weekly TT Times update:
Weekend Race Report-
- The triathlon mecca of Boulder held their annual Ironman event under blazing hot conditions yesterday. A solid group of locals were in attendance, front lined by Boise professional triathlete Erin Green who took 4th overall in the women's field. Congrats to everyone who competed this weekend at Ironman Boulder.
- A solid group of local athletes made the trip to Utah for the grassroots East Canyon Triathlon. The Tri Town crew had a strong showing with most ending up on the podium!
- The Ironman Asia-Pacific Championships was held Saturday in Cairns, Australia, with the top 4 men finishers all finishing in course record time. This event was the debut Ironman for 5x ITU World Champion Javier Gomez, who's entrance into the Ironman discipline has been highly anticipated. Also racing was Torenzo Bozzone, who has had a brilliant start to the 2018 season. The race ultimately went to Braden Currie of New Zealand, with Gomez in second, and Bozzone in 3rd. The women's race was not as tight, but exciting nonetheless with Teresa Adams (also of New Zealand) besting Miranda Carfrae in course record time for the win.
Events We're Looking Forward To-
- Do your open water swim skills need some attention? Meet us at Quinn's Pond for Tri Coach Mark Sortino's free swim clinic on Sunday, June 17th at 8am. Meet at 7:30am if you'd like to demo a wetsuit for the event.
- Ironman 70.3 CDA is just a couple weeks away! Now's the time to schedule your bike for a tuneup, and rent race wheels or a wetsuit for the race before it's too late.
Training Thoughts and Updates-
Years ago I came across a video that explains the training habits of elite athletes better than anything I've come across before or since. Here it is- worth watching all 30min of it. Even more beneficial if you follow the model Dr. Stephen Seiler recommends.
Gear that caught our attention-
Now that the race season is upon us I'm starting to put some quality miles on our shop's Omnium trainer. This portable trainer is impressively versatile: it fits all bikes (including disc brake road and mountain bikes), is ideal for training while traveling (I've done a few hotel room spins on mine), and is perfect for bike/run brick workouts on the track or swim/bike workouts at the pond. Finally, if you need to do a short bike warmup before a race look no further. Packs into a small tote bag in seconds for ease of transport.
Quote that Struck a Chord-
I'm a sucker for self-help and business books (my current top 3: Necessary Endings, Checklist Manifesto, and Turn the Ship Around). I came across this quote recently from Damon Richards that rings true based on my experience in business:
"Your customer doesn't care how much you know, until they know how much you care."
If you have a few moments to spare-
On the 1 to 10 scale, my respect for professional cyclist Peter Sagan just went to an 11 after watching this.
Have a great week!